Click to Home

Home   News   Calendar   FAQs
Go To Search
Alcohol Sales
Helping You Understand the Laws

This information has been prepared in an attempt to help educate you on the process involved in obtaining an alcohol permit, and to answer those frequently asked questions from citizens and businesses within the community. It does not replace or supersede any local, state or federal law regulating the sale, distribution or production of alcohol within the City of Weatherford.

On November 4, 2008, City of Weatherford citizens voted to approve Proposition 1 - The legal sale of mixed beverages in restaurants by food and beverage certificate holders only, and Proposition 2 - The legal sale of all alcoholic beverages for off-premise consumption only.

On November 10, 2008, the City Council of the City of Weatherford adopted Ordinance 403-2007-78 establishing distance requirements from schools, churches and hospitals, and establishing permit requirements for a City alcohol permit. The local option election was canvassed and certified by the Parker County Commissioner’s Court on November 17, 2008.

Proposition 1 and Proposition 2 are only effective within the corporate boundaries of the City of Weatherford at the time of the November 4, 2008 election. All annexations taking place after that date retain the wet/dry status in place before their annexation into the City of Weatherford.

Questions & Answers
Below are some frequently asked questions and answers. After reading the below, if you should still have questions, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 817-598-4202.

Who regulates the sale of alcoholic beverages in the State of Texas?
The production, distribution and sale of alcohol within the State of Texas is regulated by the Texas Alcoholic Beverages Commission (“TABC”) and the TABC receives their statutory authority to do so from the Texas Alcoholic Beverages Code. You can learn more about the TABC by visiting their website at

What are the distance requirements for the sale of alcohol from schools, churches and public hospitals?
In general, no alcoholic beverage may be sold within three hundred (300’) feet of a school, church or public hospital. The Texas Alcoholic Beverages Code and City of Weatherford Ordinance 403-208-78 establish the manner by which these distance requirements are measured.

The following illustrations may help clarify these two provisions:

Illustration 1 - Church and Public Hospital Distance Requirements
Illustration of Church and Public Hospitals Distance Requirements

The measurement of the distance between the place of business where alcoholic beverages are sold and a church or public hospital shall be along the property lines of the street fronts and from front door to front door, and in a direct line across intersections.

Illustration 2 - School Distance Requirements
Illustration of School Distance Requirements

The measurement of distance between the place of business where alcoholic beverages are sold and a public or private school shall be in a direct line from the property line of the public or private school to the property line of the place of business, and in a direct line across intersections.

Are childcare facilities included in the distance requirements?
Childcare facilities are NOT included in the distance requirements, and the City of Weatherford does not have the legal authority to create distance requirements for childcare facilities. By State law, spacing requirements only apply to Public and Private Schools, Churches or Public Hospitals.

Can Churches or Schools petition for increased distance requirements to one thousand (1,000’) feet?
No. The Texas Education Code only allows cities over a population of 900,000 to increase the distance requirements to one thousand (1,000’) feet. While some communities smaller than 900,000 have attempted to do this, state law does not allow them to do it.

What are the legal hours within the City of Weatherford to sell alcohol?
Restaurants may serve alcoholic beverages during the following hours: 
  • Monday – Friday
    • 7:00 AM to 12:00 Midnight
  • Saturday
    • 7:00 AM to 1:00 AM (Sunday)
  • Sunday
    • 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon with food, and
    • 12:00 Noon to Midnight

The holder of a late hours permit from the TABC may serve from 12:00 Midnight to 2:00 AM on any day.

Convenience Stores or Grocery Stores may sell alcohol during the following hours:
  • Monday – Friday
    • 7:00 AM to 12:00 Midnight
  • Saturday
    • 7:00 AM to 1:00 AM (Sunday)
  • Sunday
    • 12:00 Noon to 12:00 Midnight

Liquor stores may sell alcohol during the following hours:
  • Monday – Saturday
    • 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM
Liquor stores are prohibited from selling liquor on New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If New Year’s Day or Christmas Day fall on a Sunday, then the prohibition applies to the following Monday.

Can the City regulate the sale of alcohol or where it is sold?
The City of Weatherford does not regulate the sale of alcohol, but does limit where it can be sold. With the zoning ordinance adopted in January 2011, the sale of alcohol inside the City of Weatherford is limited to C-1 Commercial zoning districts, CBD Central Business District, and C-2 Commercial/Interstate zoning districts.

What is the permit submittal process?
In general, the permit submittal will adhere to the following review process:
  • Applicant retrieves application from TABC website
  • Applicant submits application and appropriate fee to City Secretary
    • 303 Palo Pinto Street
  • City verifies zoning and certifies the application
    • Approximately 5 business days
  • Applicant forwards application to TABC
    • TABC certifies application and forwards on to Parker County
    • TABC’s rough estimate of the approval process is 6-8 weeks